Here is a list of the subway cars built by and for the old BMT subway. BMT stood for the Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit Corporation which operated all of the lines now called the BMT OR B1 Division of the NYCTA.
There were two main types of cars ordered through the years by the BMT. Most of the cars (950) came to be known as the BMT Standards. The remaining cars were articulated, that is each two car bodies shared one truck at one end.
B Type on Brighton Line
|Total Standard motor cars:||900|
|Total Standard trailer cars:||50|
|Total Standard cars||950|
|6000-6003 ABC||4||D||PrSt||1925||BMT D Type
D Type on Brighton Line
|7003 A,B,C,B1,A1||1||MS||PSCo||1934||Green Hornet|
all with A,B,C,B1,A1 designations
|Total Multi types:||26|
|8000 A,B,A1||1||CC||Clark||1938||BMT Blue Bird|
|Total Clark Cars||6|
1953 (to BMT)
|SIRT Cars on BMT|
|2925-2929||5||SIRT Trailers||StStl||Trailers were never used in service|
|Total SIRT Cars||30|
|Total BMT Cars||1135|
Car Type key:
On the A/B Standards, there is some question about the letter
designations. All ACF cars were delivered as singles, and so were technically
A-Type cars, although not so designated, as all were single cars. The
modifications for MUDC
operation and unitization began in 1919-20. Thus, the latter portion of the
Pressed Steel cars were always unitized as in later years.
2400-1 through 2498-9 were originally 2 car units (prior to delivery of the 50 trailers), and were designated as BT units exactly as in later years, Following rebuilding, most (not all) of these newly constituted units were equipped with link bars instead of couplers,
When the trailers were delivered and the BX units were formed, 4045-4049 remained as control trailers, designated AX cars, This was a temporary arrangement, and a few years later were placed into the remaining BT units, forming BX's as with the other trailers.
When units were originally formed, cars 2399 and 2500 were removed of the roster, there being no place for them, and remained as used for various non-revenue purposes, They were revived for passenger service following the first wreck in 1953
The ex-Staten Island cars did not appear in BMT service until late 1955 (after the service was cut back to Ditmas Ave.). The trailers 2925-2929 were never used in passenger service; but only in non-revenue service. Some were yard sheds, Only the first one, 2925 was a renumbering; the others retained their original SIRT numbers.
In addition to the subway cars above, the BMT had many elevated cars that were used from 1880's to 1969. Like the IRT most of the early cars were pulled by steam engine (this is actually an IRT el train). After 1900 many of the cars were converted to electric operation, but kept their end gates. By the 1930's, many of the cars were enclosed with automatic doors.
- The JoeKorNer
All photos are from the MTA New York City Transit archives. These GIF files were scanned from offset press prints, thus the quality of the reproduction varies with your monitor and video card capabilities.