Prospect Park and Culver
Many believe that the IND was built to destroy the IRT
and BMT lines. Why else would so many of the IND lines parallel exiting lines
of the other two.
In Brooklyn, the
Culver Line shared the
4th Ave subway with the other Coney Island lines, after the 5th Ave el was torn
down . In 1954 the Prospect Park branch of the IND was connected to Ditmas Ave.
The F train that was operating to Church Ave was cut back to Broadway
Laffayette and the D tain was extended to the Culver Line. Of course this was
temporary, as after Chrystie St opened, the F replaced D as the D moved to the
BMT Brighton line.
The IND subway was extended into Brooklyn
in stages from both Broadway Nassau and Houston St. Before the 6th Ave line was
opened in 1940, the 8th Ave trains operated to Church Ave. After the 6th Ave
opened the F, then the D, and finally the F again operated through Smith-9th
More photos added from
a May 29, 2008 trip out on
the line. Only one R-32 train was photographed, but two were seen. At Smith 9th
St. the G trains of only four cars stop all the way at the 10 car mark, forcing
passengers who are only going there to walk the length of the
- The JoeKorNer